Thursday, July 29, 2021

113 / A Much Needed Break

Assalamualaikum!

Earlier this week, after reading so many negative stories and sentiments across all social media platforms (read: new COVID-19 cases, stuff that's been happening on the Palestinian land, chaos in the Parliament seating, slanders, 'successful' individual screaming at an uncle from the streets; amongst others), I have decided to go rogue and deleted all my social media applications on my phone, primarily those with a two-way engagement platforms that I generally frequent - Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, and Linkedin. Oh wait, even Clubhouse too! 

It started off with watching a shared untoward video of someone's genitalia and we don't even know if it's a deepfake done to despise others, I don't know but it's definitely circulating from one phone to another. What I know is that it was one of the most disturbing videos I have ever watched thus far, hence the decision to delete all my apps on my phone so I can refrain and avoid myself from viewing or reading weird, nonsensical stuff on social media with hopes to remove all the negativities away. I know some would say "err you can always control who you follow blabla" but NO sirree, all these stupid unwanted news have the tendency to suddenly pop out, out of nowhere. So nope it is not always within our control. The best form of control is to withdraw and admit defeat because it is, a nasty place for many people.

Although I am on my term break for now, I feel like it is easier for me to focus at work and I am guessing it will benefit me the same way once my new term starts. I have been away from social media for 5 days now, and guess what, I think I am doing just fine. I just don't care or remain oblivious and I for now, this is for the best. Plus, I have been reading more news, inundating myself with reading materials. Sometimes all we need is just a break from all the chaos that is not within our control. I do open my ig messages via web once a day just to check if there are any messages, but that is how far I'd go, not even a peek on anyone's story or ig post. Ballsy eh.

Social media fasting is the way to go for me. At least for now.  I'm gonna try and do this for about a month first? See if it works. And then.. We'll see how things are then. One step at a time!

Let's see how far or long I can last without social media. :D

Until then, stay safe and stay healthy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Agree in motion? Beg to differ? Go ahead.